The pace at which technology is changing construction is accelerating. This change is not just led from innovation within the industry but from significant advances in information technology, such as Building Information Modelling (BIM). As digitalisation of the construction industry can significantly improve efficiencies, the RIAI has published a new BIM pack. BIMIreland.ie outlines the resource and how to get to it. The online resource is aimed at Architects and Architectural Technologists as well as clients, industry professionals and educators.
BIM involves the digitalisation of the construction industry through a combination of technology and standardisation. Significant opportunities are available to organisations and individuals who adopt BIM and while standards such as PAS1192 and ISO 19650 are very useful, the mixed interpretations of those standards across professions and organisations has been a limiting factor in the success of BIM adoption. BIM requires full participation by all industry professionals to be successful.
RIAI CEO Kathryn Meghen said: “The industry is now competing with industries that did not exist two decades ago for the best and brightest. Through the BIM Subcommittee, the RIAI has provided leadership in BIM by creating a platform for the industry to engage in modernising our business and we believe standardisation is an important step.”
Michael Earley, Chair of the RIAI BIM Subcommittee, said: “There are considerable challenges ahead for the construction industry and while BIM will not solve all problems, there is significant opportunities through BIM to reduce risk, improve performance and eliminate costly waste by virtually building and testing design before it goes to site.”
What is in the BIM Pack?
- The BIM Pack provides a set of comprehensive advice notes and templates for organisations and individuals considering undertaking a project in BIM.
- All documentation has been prepared for compliance with PAS1192 standards published by the British Standards Institute (BSI) and guidance documents by the Construction Industry Council (CIC).
- The documents cover all project stages including briefing, pre-contract submissions, appointment and post-contract documentation leading to handover.
Where can I find the BIM Pack?
- A suite of documents are available to the public on the RIAI website.
- The RIAI has also developed resources for Members which are available to RIAI members in the BIM area.
For further information, please contact: Dr Sandra O’Connell, RIAI Director of Architecture and Communications, T 01 6691474, firstname.lastname@example.org